Sunday, January 23, 2011

That LOL moment.

Sometimes I don't get when and how we're supposed to used LOL, one of the famous overused texting words. If it actually means LOL = Laughing Out Loud, then why we sometimes use it for something that is NOT funny. Check this:

"What's up, buddy?"
"Not good, lol."
"Why? What happen?"
"I cut my fingers and practically have no fingers anymore."
"Ouch, that's bad."
"Yeah, lol."

Okay, perhaps that was a bit exaggerated. What about this:

A: "Why are you still up this late?"
B: "I don't know. I guess there's something wrong with my recent sleep pattern. lol."

A: "Care to join?"
B: "I'd love to but I can't. This assignment is killing me. lol."

A: "It was fab! You should've come. I met blah blah blah and blah. And blah, because blah blah blah..."
(and 5 mins later)
B: "lol"

True story.

Oh come on. What does LOL mean? If we use lol that much, in almost every case, then I prefer LOLS; Laughing Out Loud Sarcastically. Oh yes I am.


5 comments:

  1. well, it's such a involuntary / accidental /unintentional action deh.
    There are some ambiguities in virtual conversation. we can decrese the uncertainty with those meaningless 'LOLs', 'HAHAHAs', 'HIHIHIs'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, that's right, laa. LOLS.
    (yeah, i'm teasing you ;p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow exactly what occurrence inspired u to write this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't know. err. my quantity of tweeting blogging and chatting, perhaps?
    lols *im doin it again

    ReplyDelete

By the way, I don't hate comments.